The most lucrative fight in boxing history could see a repeat performance, both in and out of the ring. Floyd Mayweather’s decision last year over Oscar De La Hoya resulted in a chance for the made-for-profit rematch that’s reportedly near confirmation. Richard Schaefer, chief executive of De la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, said that both fighters have agreed to the idea with only final financial terms to be worked out. A rematch with Mayweather is foolish, I believe. But if he’s going to do it, he needs to pull out all the stops. The fight will likely be September 13 or 20 in Las Vegas or Los Angeles and possibly at a catch weight between the welterweight and higher junior middleweight level.
Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya looked for better options and rediscovered each other, an entirely predictable outcome after they produced the biggest fight in boxing history. I like how the bout isn’t described as a chance for Hoya to avenge a loss, but the immediate cause for the fight is……….money. Possible venues include Dodger Stadium and the 27,000-seat home of Major League Soccer’s Los Angeles Galaxy as de la Hoya has said he wants an outdoor bout at some point before retirement. Whether their tentative September fight looks any different than the first, which Mayweather dominated over the latter rounds before surviving a brow-arching split decision last May, remains to be seen. Assuming the fight happens in September, the nine-month break will be the longest of the Grand Rapids native’s career, by slightly more than a month. De La Hoya vs Mayweather tickets sold out in 3 hours. Tickets to super fight of the year between Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya have sold out in just three hours.
1210 total views, 1 today